• Ou Ming
  • Thursday, March 01, 2007

    only echos

    semantics won't do

    Some people hate words. So they barely use them. Some people talk too much, but essentially they detest words, too. Talking a lot doesn't mean loving words. It usually means manipulating words. Manipulating them to fill/feel a vacuum; to say nothing; to forget your thoughts; to pretend you keep trying.

    Devil’s advocate would say that the same goes for silence. Often confused with inner peace, silence makes you seem thoughtful, considerate, even endearing. When in reality, you couldn't care less. But who really cares about silence? It’s for other kinds of animals. And the dead.

    Words. Clear, tactical, fragile. Rhyming, forbidden. Big, foul, coined. Words are responsible for the best games. Play with, make up, link, re-arrange, translate, delete, put down, repeat. Words. Familiar, now strange.

    Words often make up for lost time, for tears never shed, for love not yet made, for bodies dearly missed. For bodies.

    I don't know what it is about me and words. Sometimes it feels that by using them, I don't give up. And by not giving up, I never fail. Foolish. Other times, they just feel right. They help express a part of something that always remains reluctantly hidden. This is not easy. It always demands for someone willing to hear. And listen. And there is no one. Not even me.









    Labels:

    3 Comments:

    Blogger thegypsy said...

    It is thought that words is the best way for one to express themselves which was my point of view about them, until recently...
    Now, I can seem to find words heavenlike or beautiful enough to express what I'm feeling...!!!!
    Have a nice day:D

    March 02, 2007 6:40 am  
    Blogger Nick D said...

    Beautiful... :)

    March 02, 2007 12:37 pm  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I used to think that words were sufficient to express what's inside my head.

    Increasingly now I find them to be little more than desicated corpses, containing the shape and form of that to which they refer to but devoid of any vitality - at times I find them so crude that I think the replacement of written language is long overdue.

    March 19, 2007 7:52 pm  

    Post a Comment

    << Home